Friday, February 12, 2010

"Todo, Eu não acho que nós estamos na Kanas mais"

The opening message said, "Todo, I don't think we are in Kansas anymore. Lol, and we definitely are not. Well I am here in a LAN house e-mailing it cost me 1.5 r$ REAIS for an hour. Not terrible.

The plane ride was pretty long and way crazy but I am here. Brazil is way different. I tried a few time to talk to some natives on the plane and the airport. They were very kind to me. I was happy about that. Elder McQuivey did fine. We were separated on the plane so that was interesting. I sat on the window next to a semi- attractive female. Very intresting experience. It took me all night to get the courage to talk to her in português. President and Sister Pickett picked us up. I had all my luggage, so that was nice. We then went to the mission home. It is right in vitória on the beach about 12 stories up. It was so legit. The floors are all granite. You will hear more about that later. Our companions came a little later. My campanion is a kid name Elder Ekstrom from Holladay, Utah. What are the odds. He has about 8 months. We know like 3 people in common, 2 of his best friends I met on heritage tours, and the other was serving in Pinehurst and I played ball with him. He is really cool and he was way excited to see me. I was very happy.

So, we got really special treatment. President took us out for pizza and gave us money for a taxi to our apartments. It was way late. I was so scared riding the taxis. They have the same trafffic laws but no one follows them. You seriously go from 100 km/min to 0....no joke. We went to the apartment. It was a lot different them I imaginged. Every house here has tile and no carpet. We do have a machine so we can have hot water which is nice and we do have a washing machine but no dryer. We serving in the Jardim Limoeiro, which translates Lemontree Garden. It is split into two areas and we share the area with 2 other Elders that live with us. Elder Johnson from Idaho Falls and Elder Caravalho from Belém Brasil. First day we did a lot of walking, craziness. I have eaten a lot of rice and beans so far. Hahaha and every day have had soda. It is like the netaor of life. Guananá. I dont talk a lot hahaha I understand about half. The members are nice to me and take pity on me. We met thing kid named Giovanne. He is a recent convert teenager and his mom Cleo not a member. She is a good cook. They were both really nice. We were supposed to have 2 baptisms on friday but one of them will have to pushed back because he did not go to church. His name is Kaique and he is 15. The other who hopefully will get baptized is a 17 year old girl named Renata. She is good. I will probably be the one that baptizes her. President only lets us baptize at first. Then he wants the members to do it after that. But, I am happy for her. Missionary work is harder then I imagined in the MTC. I am glad to be here though.

I met some less actives that Elder Ekstrom reactivated, Newton and Josee and their daughter Julia. I love them so much and they were very kind to me.
So, Church yesterday was very interesting. I introduced myself to everybody a lot of Bom Dia good morning and Tudo Bems. President likes us to bear our testimonies every fast Sunday. I was a little emotional as I did it. It is hard not speaking a languague. But, the spirit was there helping me and speaking comfort to my soul. The ward is really cool and has a little bit of AC. I was falling asleep during Elders Quorem. All I know about what we studied was it was about repentance, and we have to wear our suits to church. Very hot. Hahahah. We walk a ton. I am really tired when i get in bed at night. The houses our funny. You look at them from the outside and you are like ok then you walk inside you are like they are nice. For example, most houses are made out of this red brick stuff that they do themselves but when you go inside they have a TV bigger then ours.

I am not gonna lie at times this is hard. When I am dead tired and have no energy. There are three things I have found as strengths thus far. First, My temple covenants....in a way this mission is part of the covenant, second prayer and third, the lord, he doesnt make it immediate but he will find a way to get me pumped thus helping me make it when I need it most. I truely am weak but I take comfort in the fact that the Lord calls us in our weakness but he qualifies us. He is the author of this great work. Pray for me as I pray for you. Prayers are answered and I am example and testimony of this. Jesus is the Christ

Peace

I love you all

Elder Athans

No comments: